Eva Kalman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:31:26 -0500
On Fri, 17 May 1996 22:59:04 GMT, Daniel A. Norton <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>LISTSERV does remove Return-Receipt-To: and the other tags that request a
>>notification.
>
>Right, but I think Microsoft Exchange has the request in the body
>of the message (in a MIME attachment), so LISTSERV misses it.
>
>--
>Daniel A. Norton

This is an old thread, but we are having problems with listowners
being overwhelmed with Return-Receipts going to them instead of
the MS Exchange requestor.  I've been trying to write a FAQ but
I'm probably mixed up about this.   Is either of the following true?

 For lists with SHORTHDR specified, LISTSERV deletes Return-Receipt-To
 headers from postings.  However, MS Exchange apparently also embeds
 something in a MIME attachment to request an acknowledgement, which
 LISTSERV cannot remove.   Exchange gets this, but doesn't have the
 Return-Receipt-To header anymore to reply to, so it goes back to the
 envelope sender (which is the Errors-To address, which is owner-listname).

or

 MS Exchange systems apparently send DSNs and receipts to the envelope
 sender of a message instead of the real sender (the "From:" line).
 Listserv sets the envelope sender to the "Errors-To" address, because
 that's where errors will usually go, and in most lists, this is set to
 owner-<I>listname</I> by default.

And what do people suggest to their list owners?

 So far, all we can suggest is that list owners ask their list
 subscribers to refrain from requesting Return Receipts when sending
 to a list.  Otherwise, list owners will need to have a filter in their
 client to throw away these messages.  You could blank out the "Errors-To"
 keyword in the LISTSERV configuration header but then you wouldn't
 receive real errors such as address delivery problems.

And finally, does anybody know if anything is different with Exchange 2000?

Thanks for any info,

Eva Kalman
Lucent Corporate E-Mail