Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:35:48 -0400
"LISTSERV site administrators' forum" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote on 07/28/2005 11:31:00 AM:

> Unfortunately, our portal developers and upper management do not even
> have Listserv on their radar screen. I seriously doubt anyone in
> authority here would care if our Listserv remained outside of our new
> portal. Until I mentioned integrating Listserv with our new portal,
> no one other than me even thought of the idea. Our portal developers
> are only willing to do work with me on this project if it can be done
> within the framework of the specifications that all our other
> services have met, such as Blackboard, Email, housing, rosters, and
> transcripts. What's more, this new portal is due to go live any day
> now and our portal developers have been working nearly around the
> clock on it lately, so I doubt they would look fondly upon me if I
> did too much saber rattling at this stage and I was not even given
> access to the portal until a few days ago so I could try it out. As
> such, I seriously doubt I could push to relax the realtime
> requirement, which is sad because all our students will see their
> Blackboard courses via their portal environment and thus Listserv
> will take a back seat here, as it already appears to be doing. What I
> really want to do is give Listserv a more prominent position here,
> and inclusion in our new portal seems an ideal means to that goal.

Here's an idea...  Give them a little code to put on the portal that
brings up data from the Listserv web server.  In the back end, it
generates the data in less than real time... using the scripts you
mentioned in your first email.

Don't feel bad... Our portal goes live in a couple weeks, and I still
cannot log in.  There's a name conflict in the aggregated directory they
are using for authentication.  They've known about it for months, but
nothing has been done.  I'm waiting for them to tell me I must do
something through the portal and I will let them know that it is
impossible for me to sign in.