"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 10:42:12 -0600
At 9:14 AM -0600 12/19/96, Den Collins & Dickens wrote:
>The following is an error report that I'm getting on this one subscriber.
>I am confused as to where the problem with the name server is.

You can't tell for sure from the error message alone, except that it was
somewhere between postal.tamu.edu and the DNS servers handling utw.com
inclusive.  Further exploration shows that the DNS entries for utw.com are
seriously messed up.  The root domain server shows three authoritative name
servers for the utw.com domain, but one of them (when it responds at all)
says it is not authoritative and refers you to one of the others plus two
aliases for itself, while the other two say they don't recognize utw.com at
all.

>Is this something I can fix?

Not in your persona as a list owner/manager.  You can, of course, stop
getting the error messages by setting the subscriber to NOMAIL, but that's
addressing the symptoms rather than the problem.

>Or, is it something an expert needs to look at?

Yes.  I'll copy [log in to unmask] on this message (by IP address).

Mark R. Williamson