Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Oct 1991 17:02:00 +0100
On Wed, 2 Oct 1991 09:11:25 EDT "Lisa M. Covi" <COVI@BITNIC> said:

>1. A user at my node wants to  set up a 4000+ userid list. Are there any
>thoughts about this tree conserversation-wise  but CPU hogging idea? Are
>there large lists like this already in existence?

Not a good idea on a machine  the size of BITNIC, unless response time is
not critical. That is, posting to such  a list will tie up your LISTSERV,
MAILER and possibly SMTP for quite a while. You may also need to increase
virtual storage.

>2. A user wants  to set up a list which  is owner-subscription only, but
>wants to allow the  user to get off the list. Can  this be done (besides
>by renewal)?

Well you just  set "Subscription= By_owner" and use the  default value of
"Validate" (ie don't specify the keyword).

>3. This same user wants statistics on how many requests each file on her
>filelist gets and how many requests for information on all files?

The only way to do that is via a file access verification exit that would
keep a log of all requests.

  Eric