Roger Fajman <RAF@NIHCU>
Wed, 26 Jul 89 18:09:35 EDT
> >A node  that looks inside  of files that are  sent directly to  users is
> >going to have trouble with other  things. Internet mailing lists are one
> >major example. NOTEs are another.
>
> NOTEs come with a Netdata header, and they are no problem.

Netdata helps if your node understands it, but our RJE nodes are non-IBM
and don't understand Netdata.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I've seen
things that seem to be NOTEs, but are in punch format.  I'm not a VMer,
so I don't know the details of how NOTEs are formed.

> The user  must be  able to change  it because, even  though there  may be
> cases where the user has signed a paper with the provider of the computer
> account which actually makes it legal for  the NAD to decide on this kind
> of stuff on behalf  of the user, it may not always be  the case. The user
> may  be able  to demand  that his  subscription be  set to  this or  that
> option, for instance.  If the node-level option cannot  be overriden, and
> several users  have different desiderata,  you have a problem.  And guess
> who the NAD is going to point his finger at?

I certainly have no problem with allowing users to override the
default.  But I do think it is a good idea to allow the node
administrator to choose a default that minimizes network load.  Better
yet, have LISTSERV choose a minimum-traffic default that the node
administrator can override if he or she is so inclined.  Then the user
can override the node administrator's choice, if desired.