Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:23:51 -0400
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Marty Hoag wrote:

>    The last couple days we've been seeing wholesale HOTMAIL error
> e-mail bounces with a 5.0.0 code (should be syntax error if I read
> the docs right).  This is a bit different than the previous 554 error
> in that it occurs AFTER the e-mail has been accepted by HOTMAIL.
> Below is an example.

I have received tons of undeliverable email from my list to about ten
particular hotmail users today.

>    The ironic thing is that one listowner is a hotmail user herself
> and got the error message back ok (via owner-listname) but the mail
> to the hotmail subscribers was rejected!  She claimed she'd tried
> a couple times and got bounces but I'm not sure of the sequence.

I speculate that one of Hotmail's cluster's is probably on the blink and
the list owner is not on one of those clusters.

Frankly, I have become jaded where Hotmail errors are concerned. As I tell
the people here in my office, anyone who cares about reliable email
service will simply not use Hotmail. You get what you pay for.