Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Tue, 7 Apr 1987 19:06 SET
  Jim: it's PUT not *PUT. The leading  '*' would indicate a comment line which
is ignored.

  The FRECP11 recipients of this mail item have received it from [log in to unmask]
I  had to  resend the  mail because  of problems  caused with  the new  RFC822
support I  implemented in my LISTSERV.  I think I should  completely drop this
full RFC822 support  project as it creates problems with  the Crosswell MAILER
that does not  support it. My new routines created  a real-valid-superb RFC822
name field  instead of removing  "troublesome" characters as was  done before,
and lo and  behold, MAILER bounced the  thing back to me.  Did I misunderstand
something in RFC822? I thought that the following name field was valid:

     "\"James R. Gerland\""

  The field  is enclosed in double  quotes, which is valid,  and the backslash
character is  used to quote double-quotes  inside the field, which  is I think
the way  it should be  done. Anyway  this causes a  syntax error in  the From:
field. I  don't know what  to do about  this. It is  not possible to  create a
network of mailing systems, each of  which supporting about 75% of RFC822 (not
always the same 75% besides), without a great deal of luck.

  Eric