Greg Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 May 1993 16:29:22 EDT
On Thu, 13 May 1993 14:55:34 EDT Jim Cocks said:
>We have two lists here with filelists defined to them for which we have
>files posted.  It has been observed recently that when one invokes the
>get listname filelist command that the filelist received contains
>duplicate entries (see example attached below).  I know this must have
>a simple explanation but for the life of us we cannot find it or correct
>it.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
>*
>*  NOTEBOOK archives for the list

My guess is whoever is responsible for maintaining this FILELIST got a copy
*without* specifying the "CTL" option.  The "CTL" option is necessary to
retrieve a copy of the FILELIST *without* the listing of archives for the
associated list.  The listing of archives ("NOTEBOOK archives for the list")
is appended automatically when someone requests an index for the list (or
does a "get <listname> filelist" command).

What you (or the responsible person) should do is get a copy of the FILELIST
using the "CTL" option.  Delete the lines showing the list of archives,
then send it back to LISTSERV for storage.  The next time you request an
index (or get command), you should only see one list of the archives
available.

You should get a copy of Ben Chi's beginner's guide on setting up a
LISTSERV file server.  You can request this by sending mail (or use
the CMS tell command) to LISTSERV@ALBNYVM1, with the command:

get fsv guide

Note, this is my guess as to what is going on I may be all wrong. :-)

--Greg Kroll