Tracey McCartney <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:00:40 -0500
At 08:50 AM 7/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:35:05 -0500, Tracey McCartney <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>
> >The logs show a "550 Relaying is prohibited" message for each
> >recipient.
>
>LISTSERV does not itself send any mail to end recipients.  Instead it
>sends the
>mail to an external (usually local) Mail Server which sends out the mail
>to the
>recipients.  This error message is coming from that external mail server
>and it
>is refusing to accept (and realy onwards) mail from LISTSERV.  This involves
>some setting on that external mail server which must be set to allow the
>(relay)
>mail coming from LISTSERV to be accepted and processed.  Nothing in
>LISTSERV can
>control this, it is merely trying to send the mail.

This is what I thought.  The SMTP_FORWARD originally was set to mail.uu.net
(our ISP), and it worked without incident for a long time.  Then things
went kerblooioe.  Coincidentally or not, this happened around the same time
I made some routing config changes to our Exchange server, but I never
dreamed that would affect the Listserv box, which I thought was not
interacting with the Exchange server at all.

If there was a problem with UUNet (and they insist there's not), I've
worked around it by now running Listserv through our Exchange server and
then straight to the net (after numerous trial-and-error routing
configuration tweaks).  I *just now* got things going again.

Thanks,

Tracey