Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:50:49 -0500
I would like to make a recommendation to all you LISTSERV site admins
out there.

A certain site appears to be generating spam to LISTSERV lists
everywhere at such an alarming rate that just the X-SPAM notices that
we are receiving from all the networked sites are coming in so fast
that they come close to constituting a DOS attack.

I don't want to name names in a public forum, in case the site in
question is doing it unknowingly due to some virus or something like
that. What I recommend is that you do a search/find/grep/whatever in
your LISTSERV log file looking for lines such as:

28 Nov 2001 06:34:47 From [log in to unmask]: X-SPAM [log in to unmask] F1A6AAE6

If you find an XXXXXX that is showing up a lot in the log, you may
want to add the following to your site configuration file:

FILTER_ALSO= %FILTER_ALSO% XXXXXX.COM

(this is the NT/Win2K format for the site.cfg file -- if you're
running a different OS, please use the appropriate format)

to stop the messages in their tracks, rather than generating new spam
warnings each time a message comes in.

Francoise