Ulrich Giese <U001212@HNYKUN11>
Mon, 22 May 89 18:38:11 MET
On Mon, 22 May 89 12:02:04 GMT Eric Thomas said:
>Could someone explain what  this VERS8900 update is, why it  was named in this
>way, and  why nobody was  notified, even  after the fact???

i have done so. please look to EARN-NOG.

                                                              LISTSERV excpects
>updates to be numbered sequentially, so that 8905 is more recent than 8904 and
>older than  8906 (aren't they called  'VERSyymm'?). It also does  not expect a
>month of  00, and 0 minus  1 is a negative  number which is not  expected in a
>number of  places (hopefully  this doesn't  seem to  have caused  any problem,
>apart from  renaming the old  BITEARN NODES  to VERS89-1 which,  hopefully, is
>accepted by  CMS). Other software  may have  been affected, perhaps  even more
>severely.

i tried to do so, but NETSERV refused it !

>If there was a REALLY good reason to  do this, and there had better be one, we
>should  have been  notified in  advance. I  hope the  BoD members  realize the
>impact  this kind  of behaviour  can have  on the  credibility of  the current
>EARN-supplied NODUPD files model.
>
>  Eric

i'm very sorry that i have forgotten to mail to you explicitely, that i had
to build a second NODUPD within one month. anyway this had to been done on
friday evening, saturday and sunday, because i have to leave tomorrow
morning for crete. also this was a single event, and i will not do this again
in the future, even if someone asks for it because it took me very much time.

-ulrich-