Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:38:30 -0400
On 10/10/2006 13:32, Steve Eckard wrote:
> One of our listowners is setting up an announce only list to
> send to a specific group of people in case of an emergency
> situation at our University. He wants to know if there is a
> way to set up the list that only a listowner/administrator
> could add or delete people from this list (member on the list
> could not unsubscribe). Can this be accomplished? Thanks.

This question comes up several times a year. This can be done, however, it
requires the implementation of a list exit. The exit must be installed by
the site administrator. Individual lists can then be configured to use the
exit. See Chapter 5 of the LISTSERV Developer's Guide for a detailed
discussion of list exits

I have a list exit which will reject signoff requests, and another which
will reject both signoff requests and subscription option change requests,
so a subscriber can neither leave the list nor set his/her subscription to
NOMAIL. These exits are in production on LISTSERV 1.8e on Solaris 8. I am
willing to share the code, but I cannot provide any assistance for
implementation, or for porting the code to other versions and/or platforms.
All the standard disclaimers and caveats apply.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team