Scott Ophof <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Oct 90 21:48:43 SET
On Thu, 4 Oct 1990 17:27:09 MET Mary Papakhian said:
>When a subscriber sends a mail message to LISTSERV containing commands,
>Is there any way to force LISTSERV
>to ignore subject lines and/or any other lines inadvertantly tagged onto
>the end of a mail message, such as auto signatures?  Thanks.

IMHO, any mail sent to LISTSERV is meant to be executed as a job.  To me
this means *ALL* the data in the item is command-related.  I would say
it's then is up to the author of the item to ensure ONLY commands are
present in the item when it "goes out the door"...
This places the burden of checking lies with the *author* and/or software
used by the author.

To extend this *opinion*, I wouldn't mind if LISTSERV checked *ALL* lines
for validity as commands, and returned-to-sender at the first line that
does *not* match a command.  This could be seen as the analogue, but
inverse situation when items with commands are sent to a discussion list.
I have no idea whether this extra checking would increase overal use of
resources to an unacceptable level.

Am I on the right track?

Regards.
Scott/