Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 16 Sep 1993 17:00:55 +0200
On    Thu,   16    Sep   1993    09:30:12   EDT    "Steven   P.    Roder"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>I must have missed something here. I  can not (yet) recommend this to my
>management, since  I don't even  know what the fees  will be! Is  it not
>true that Eric and L-Soft are  still negotiating with CREN for some kind
>of licensing agreement similar to that with EARN?

CREN is currently surveying its membership  in order to decide whether or
not to license LISTSERV for its members. Dwight's message was in reaction
to this survey, which  should have been sent to UB  as well, but possibly
to someone else. It is indeed a sort  of catch 22: CREN is asking you how
much money you'd  be willing to pay to license  LISTSERV, and they'll use
that information to decide whether they want to get a volume license. You
won't know  whether CREN  is getting  this license until  the end  of the
month, or whatever that deadline was.

The yearly  unit prices for  LISTSERV+LMail were $3325 for  "category II"
service (new  versions + between-release  fixes + customer  support), and
$2161.25 for  "category III"  (only new versions).  L-Soft offered  a 50%
volume discount  to CREN if they'd  license all current CREN  sites under
L-Soft's  volume discount  conditions (one  bill, one  check, no  payment
delays, etc). L-Soft  needs to hire 3 programmers and  a technical writer
as soon  as possible (some part  time), and most people  are unwilling to
quit their job  for a 3-month contract,  even if they are  not very happy
with  what they  have  now.  Development is  basically  stalled until  we
collect money from the US customers, which represent the bulk of LISTSERV
sites. The  lump payment  from the  CREN contract  would allow  L-Soft to
recruit immediately and prevent development from being delayed 3-4 months
while  individual  organizations have  to  be  convinced to  license  our
products. This is why L-Soft has concentrated on the CREN contract so far
and has not been sending price  lists and business cases to CREN members,
to avoid confusing  the issue. Unfortunately it seems that  the issue got
confused anyway :-)

As I see it, three things can happen:

1. CREN decides to get the contract at the end of the month. You save 50%
   on the prices and development can start as soon as possible.

2. CREN decides not  to get the contract. L-Soft will  spend the next 3-4
   months marketing  its offerings and  collecting enough money  to offer
   one-year contracts, and  you won't get any  discount. Eventually, more
   money will  be collected from the  US customers (since more  than half
   are expected to be willing to pay), but development will be late by at
   least one quarter. This is not good for either party.

3. CREN does  not decide anything in a reasonable  amount of time. L-Soft
   will  time out,  assume CREN  does not  want the  contract and  follow
   course of action #2.  We will have a big mess as  people will not know
   what to recommend to their management,  given the lack of final answer
   from CREN.  On the other hand,  L-Soft can't wait forever  for CREN to
   make  up their  mind.  I am  of  course impatient  to  see the  non-VM
   versions of  LISTSERV take shape,  but most importantly,  the business
   side of  L-Soft is not happy  at this surprise survey,  given that the
   CREN/EARN/L-Soft  meeting was  decided in  the beginning  of July  and
   there was  plenty of  time to determine  membership interest  over the
   summer (plus  we always thought it  was obvious that CREN  members are
   interested in LISTSERV, since this is  about the only service CREN can
   offer which  has no  Internet equivalent). Anyway,  from then  on, all
   sorts  of things  can happen.  If people  recommend licenses  to their
   management anyway, L-Soft will collect money  and then CREN may or may
   not  decide to  get a  global license  for the  remaining sites,  at a
   reduced discount  (due to lower volume).  If on the other  hand people
   recommend waiting, and CREN still doesn't make a decision, L-Soft will
   have no other option but to withdraw the CREN offer to get out of this
   chicken-and-egg situation.

I hope this clarifies the situation :-)

  Eric