Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Feb 1995 16:29:15 +0100
On Wed, 1 Feb 1995 21:50:54 CST Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>The instructions seem to indicate that listserv doesn't need any
>   special privs.  This isn't quite true.  There is some modifying of
>   files that can only been done from root  (ie. create a directory
>   in the /var/spool, edit the sendmail aliases file, etc.).  Maybe
>   listserv itself doesn't need special privs, but the person doing
>   the installation does.

This is correct. To install LISTSERV  you have to modify /etc/aliases and
possibly create a couple directories  not under listserv's home directory
(it really depends where  you decide to put the files),  and for this you
need  root  access. LISTSERV  however  does  not  need root  access  when
running.

>The instructions for where the files for the lists actually reside
>   (and the license key file) was somewhat confusing.  I evnetually
>   found it, but I did have to hunt.  In the instructions, it shows
>   the full path of the executable files as /home/listserv/lsv.  If
>   I had written the docs, I would have shown it as ~/lsv

The problem  here is that  people are free  to configure the  makefile to
place the files  in the directory of your choice.  So the instructions in
the LAK  form can't  always be correct.  They say  ~listserv/home because
this is  where people usually  have the lists  and license info.  On your
system it looks like this was ~listserv/lsv/home.

  Eric