Keith Trimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jan 1994 01:18:01 PST
On Wed, 19 Jan 1994 15:32:43 EST A. Ralph Papakhian said:
>Please see correspondence below. LISTSERV mail does not seem to
>be moving from IUBVM (Bloomington, IN) to UBVM (Buffalo). Is anyone
>aware of any problems? --Ralph Papakhian

I meant to pursue this privately once I had time, but since it has come
up on the list...  The problem, whatever it is, is affecting more than
just music lists.  I have 5 subscribers (all set to either MAIL or DIGESTS)
at UBVM.  One has told me that she has resorted to doing a daily database
search to retrieve posts, because she is receiving no mail from the list
(GAY-LIBN@USCVM).  None of it is bouncing back to me as undelivered however,
and she has yet to forward any copies of the few messages she describes as
having trickled in now and again over the past two weeks, in spite of my
request that she do so...  [The list averages 24 messages daily; she reports
having received no more than 3 a day, on days when she gets anything at all.]
She states that sometimes it takes as long as three days before she receives
a response to her database searches.  (Direct private mail seems to be
going through okay, both to and from her, and to and from other users at UBVM
with whom I've corresponded recently.)  Since USCVM is no longer a backbone
server, I'm assuming that *my* problem is somewhere between ARIZVM1 and UBVM,
but I'm not sure where the mail is being held.

At the same time, list mail originating at UBVM seems to be going out, but...
I.e., as far as I know, I've not missed any messages posted to AUTOCAT@UBVM,
but lately they're arriving 'out-of-order,' and what I'm seeing doesn't seem
to match up exactly with what is appearing in the bit.listserv.autocat
version being gated through AUVM.  (Not really all that unusual, I realize.)

Indeed, since there were questions about the Usenet feed, and the Autocat
list owner asked for info., I let her know that messages *were* showing up
here at USC.  Then (in spite of the fact that Autocat is also fairly busy),
I was receiving nothing, so asked her not to delete me if messages started
bouncing.  She listed the most recent messages posted, and they showed up
here almost immediately after her reply...  ;-)

Any assistance from the principals involved here would be appreciated!
[And yes, of course, I'll be more specific, if necessary, about *my*
subscribers, at least, in private mail (due to the nature of the list and
the confidentiality issues involved).]

Later, and thanks in advance,
kt