Ron Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:05:35 -0400
>Use the software to create the attractive document, and save it as a PDF.
>Send it, along with some plain text describing why the user would want to
>open it.  Most machines have software installed that can read PDF files
>and if not, there are a number of free readers.
>
>But somehow, I don't think that's what you wanted to hear.
>
>The short answer is "There are no simple instructions

I understand. And pdf content actually displays in the email client on apple
machines.  The trick is to have instructions based on default desktop
applications to generate LISTSERV-friendly output.

LSoft Maestro is out there, and LSoft sends very attractively formatted
materials with images and links built in.. having set that example, users
want to imitate it.

So, they try to cut and paste. They try to use microsoft publisher or word
or pagemaker or iWork etc.  What is needed are global hints that just might
work:

"create your document in WORD, save as html, view in normal, cut and paste
html code into LISTSERV's "Send Message" window"

(this can work beautifully if the original message is created with Maestro!)

(screen shots in a row on a web page would be nice!)

"DON'T cut and paste from an Outlook Client into a new message and send it
to a list..."

"Create a concealed test list to see if your message distributes and
archives appropriately"

the plain text argument falls on deaf ears. what people expect is flashy
email marketing with none of the pain.

It's a real problem:
proliferating user base;
instructions written in either plain-text or html-savvy voice..
and nothing for the point-and-click/ drag and drop / "why doesnt the d___
thing do what i want" crowd.

Ron Wood