"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 08:16:43 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Doyle Cozadd
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>a new subscriber to one of my list read a note i posted about taking
>advantage of TOPICS, and got a note that it didn't apply if you had
>your subscription set to DIGEST or INDEX.  He likes the digest option,
>but would like to limit the size of chunks he gets to only the things
>he's interested in, of course.  is there any way to get around this?

Since LISTSERV is not a mind-reader (yet ;-)), I see only one other
choice: use the INDEX option, and based on the subject/length/sender,
modify the "JOB" to fetch those articles that appear to be of
interest.  Of course TOPICS has no value if anyr of the following
are also true: list-owner has not set "good" topics, senders don't
send "good" topics, subscriber doesn't know how to filter based
on topics.

(I assumed that the user is not interested in using LDBASE techniques
on an _ad hoc_ basis.)

/Pete ([log in to unmask])  --  co-owner  INFOSYS, TQM-L, LDBASE-L, et -L
--
Peter M. Weiss         "The 'NET' never naps"             +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA