Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 4 Dec 1986 18:58 SET
  The  problem with  these files  is that  there are  very little  distribution
points in the  States. Very little, that  is, just one: BITNIC.  When I decided
that BITEARN NODES &co would be REQUIRED for LISTSERV, a lot of people immedia-
tely stopped updating their servers. They  eventually contacted me and asked me
how they could obtain the files, because NETSERV did not let them out easily...
and they did not  know who is the official NAD for their  node :-) Another pro-
blem is the  size of the file... I  remember one of you sending  me mail saying
he HAD ordered  the file but it  was STILL hanging around  CUNYVM/PSUVM, and it
took nearly ONE WEEK for the file to get through... :-)

  The idea had  occured to me before  that all the LISTSERVs  have (R/O) access
to all of those files, have file  server functions, and could therefore be made
to distribute them. This would be  25 additional distribution points in USA and
Canada... without any increase in required disk space. It's obviously worth the
try.

  There are, however, two problems. The first one is that LISTSERV usually does
not have R/W access  to the files, and it is therefore NOT  possible to have it
receive updated copies of the files directly and automatically from the nearest
Netserv (or the  nearest LISTSERV which itself receives from  Netserv, etc). In
some cases it would not be possible to give this access to LISTSERV at all, not
only because of security reasons but also  because the files are on the Y-disk,
or on  the MAILER's  191 disk,  etc. This implies  that the  files will  not be
refreshed automatically, and  might be outdated... :-( But then,  better a two-
months old BITEARN NODES  in the node next to you (you'll  have to run UPDNODES
twice on it to  get the latest version), than the latest  version 11 nodes away
(at BITNIC)... I was  waiting on DHDIBM1 to come up to  discuss the matter with
Bert  Pasch, but  he'll obviously  have  more urgent  things to  do by  then...

  The other problem is political.  The official repository of nodes information
is the official  network of Netserv servers  for EARN, and the  NIC for BITNET.
LISTSERV is not  controlled by the network management and  can therefore not be
considered as part  of this *unless* the files are  automatically obtained (via
AFD) from a Netserv server. This may  sound ridiculous but it is a REAL problem
and I can already  imagine a few notes in my reader from  people I'd rather not
have to deal with again. I would of course be the one to receive the complaints
since I  wrote the  code -- same  problem when  one list loops  due to  lack of
coordination between the various owners, by the way.

  So, what do you  think about this? Should we, or  shouldn't we, offer BITEARN
NODES, DOMAIN NAMES and XMAILER NAMES to  network users (note that my test 1.5f
version already has  a GET = NAD  facility which I developped for  use with the
LOCSOFT FILELIST so no problem there).

  Eric