"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Oct 90 13:23:23 SET
On Mon, 15 Oct 90 13:43:52 IST Zvika Bar-Deroma said:
>great - then  where/how does one handle issues of  lists that are peered
>on some LISTSERV and some LISTEARN nodes ?
>... files  will look  different than  the u.s.  ppl., ...  that LISTEARN
>might, ... NOT distribute ... a piece of mail.
>Can lists be  peered on "both sides" (LISTSERV and  LISTEARN) ? What are
>the implications of this?

I also didn't intend to start a war.  I just wanted to bring the facts to
your  attention.  LISTEARN   is  no  longer  a  LISTSERV   1.5o.  As  for
compatibility  issues the  behaviour of  e.g. LISTSERV  1.5o is  (more or
less) predictable whereas this is no longer true with LISTEARN.
The  recent events  show  that there  are  slowly some  incompatibilities
creeping up.  I heard  that changes  will be made  (or have  already been
made) to the LSVDIST and LSVXMAIL execs. This may affect peered lists and
distribute jobs as well. And not only us Europeans are bitten.
Also keep in mind that LISTSERVs and LISTEARNs have different views of of
the network and the peers.

Christian