Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:20:29 -0500
On 11/15/2005 16:31, Francoise Becker wrote:

> This is not correct, except for a bug on Solaris only that was fixed
> quite a while ago now.

Can you provide any details about the "bug on Solaris only that was fixed
quite a while ago now"?

> Maybe if you would upgrade to 14.4, you
> wouldn't have problems with X-SPAM jobs. At any rate, even if we were
> to make the changes to LISTSERV that you suggest, they won't do you
> any good if you never upgrade. ;-)

We host over 30,000 lists with approximately 1.5 millions subscribers, so
it is not feasible to simply throw the latest release on top of a running
production system, hope it works, and yank it back out if it doesn't. I am
not implying that anyone on this list operates in that manner, but that is
how your upgrade instructions read. Perhaps if you took the time to separate
vendor-maintained files from locally-maintained files, upgrades would be
easier. The last time we upgraded (from 1.8d to 1.8e), we encountered serious
performance problems which forced a roll-back. These problems did not surface
during a lengthy testing phase, because the test server had only a subset
(10%) of the lists on the production server.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator