Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 09:35:10 EST
On Thu, 12 Jan 1995 14:06:53 TUR Turgut Kalfaoglu said:
>Dear sir,  your user BBS.AMERICA is spewing large amounts of
>rejection mails to LISTSERV's around the world. PLEASE STOP IT!
>regards, -turgut

>Date:       Mon, 04 May 1992 12:32:00 EST
>From:       "Suspend for bad commands" <[log in to unmask]>
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>

>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>Bad command | generated to attempt to get spammer served off
>BAD 11

I saw these, too, but I think Turgut's analysis is wrong!

A bunch of lists I read got spammed, apparently from Usenet, by
[log in to unmask]  All of the mail items I saw through lists have
virtually the same datestamp on them.

Later on last night, LISTSERV@IRISHVMA got hit by about 20 messages like
that above.  I think some vigilante was was forging mail in an attempt to
get every Revised LISTSERV on the planet to no longer serve this luser.
However, the vigilante didn't eliminate redundant attempts at each server.
(I'm guessing we got one vigilante note for each globally public list we
host?)

Unfortunately, it looks like the vigilante was closing the barn door after
the horse was gone; I didn't see any signs that any spam had been
prevented.

* IBM Corporation, Endicott, NY: 6/8/87 - 3/31/90
* U. of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN, 4/1/90- 1/20/95
* The Genix Group, Dearborn, MI, 1/23/95 - ? (still a VM SysProg)
*
* E-mail contact info to be determined....
* Notre Dame VM Issues: send mail to [log in to unmask]
*