"A. Harry Williams" <HARRY@MARIST>
Tue, 5 Dec 89 18:07:45 EST
First we had the CHRISTMA EXEC, and now we have the DIR EXEC.  Both
have had a negative impact on the network.  Fortunately, both have not
been as serious as they had the potential.  In both cases, explosive
propagation has been done via NAMES files, but I know of no case in either
where one of those NAMES files caused distribution over a major Listserv
List.  However, it is only a matter of time.  While far from perfect, I
would like to propose a method for slowing its distribution.  I would
propose a new postmaster command BLOCK.  The syntax would be:

  BLOCK FN=filename filetype

This filename filetype would be recorded, and any files to be
distributed would be checked against this list.  If found,
the file should be held and a note sent to the postmaster.

This is obviously a very rough proposal, which is why I've sent it to the
list for further discussion, rather than directly to Eric and Turgut.
Several questions I can see:

  - How to unblock a file(another command, or a syntactic option?
  - Are there other attributes to block against than filename filetype?
  - How would a postmaster say its ok to process this?
  - Should there be an option to search all spool files in the
     system to id those with fn-ft of block files.
  - Should it be extended from just postmasters to other users?  Which
    others?  List owners?  Other postmasters from PEERS NAMES?

Harry