Darren Evans-Young <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Jul 1993 18:43:05 CDT
On Thu, 22 Jul 1993 13:34:48 CDT Chris Barnes said:
>>>The "Sender:" field is where well-behaved mailers send bounces.
>>
>>Well-behaved mailers send bounces to the SMTP envelope from address
>>(MAIL FROM:).
>

>IMHO, Well-behaved mailers send bounces to (in order)
>
>a)  the List owner address (errors-to: ?) if the mail came from a MLM.
>b)  the Resent-From: address if the mail was forwarded.
>c)  the Sender: address if present and not a MLM.
>d)  the From: address if none of the above qualify.

Chris,

I believe Mark Strawcutter is correct here. According to RFC 821 (?),
delivery errors should be sent to the address listed in the MAIL FROM:
taken from the SMTP envelope, NOT from RFC 822 tags inside the
envelope.  That's like expecting your postman to open sealed
mail to figure out where to return mail when it is undeliverable.
I recently found myself in a mail loop because someone had their
MAIL FROM: set to an automated answering program.  The postmaster
claimed the MTA should have looked at the Errors-To: tag INSIDE the
envelope to see where to return the bounce.  That's not what an SMTP
mailer (MTA) is supposed to do.  None of the items you listed above
come from the envelope.

...back to discussion about LISTSERV  :-)

Darren