Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:41:04 -0500
On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:37:07 +0100, Michael Medenblik <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> We are going to implement LISTSERV and LSMTP on one physical NT box and
> relay all its mail trhough a dedicated Sendmail relay to the Internet. Is
> there somebody who can provide me examples of configuration files or a
> setup for Sendmail, in conjuction with LSMTP as mentioned above, so that
> sending out a mailing won't suffer in performance? I noticed that Valdis
> wrote several responses, but I'm still interested in more information
> regarding this subject. Do we still need to run the script for probing,
> even when we relay on domain name?

There shouldn't be any Listserv-specific tuning required on the Sendmail
relay box - about all you will need for a recent Sendmail is to tell it:

1) Your listserv machine is allowed to relay out to the world through it.
2) The world is allowed to relay to the Listerv box through it (only needed
if your Sendmail relay appears to the world as the primary MX for your
listserv box, and the NT box is *not* catching its inbound mail itself).

The biggest non-Listserv specific issue on your Sendmail relay will be
queue management - if you are expecting high loads of mail (over 100K
or so pieces a day), you certainly want to be running Sendmail 8.11.2
(recently released) and use the multiple-queue sypport with re-mqueue.pl
to "age" your queues.

Feel free to ask if there's other issues you'd like help with...
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst