Leonard D Woren <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 9 Sep 90 00:59:00 PDT
On Fri, 7 Sep 90 19:42:18 O, Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> said:
> ... But since DISTRIBUTE makes
> use of :internet, EXPLODE should be modified to do so.

Hmmm... what does this mean exactly?  (I'm not sure if this has been
answered before, but if it was, I must not have understood.)  If I am
subscribed to a list as LDW@USCMVSA, and USCMVSA's nodentry contains
:Internet.MVSA.USC.EDU, which path is my mail going to take?  What if
DOMAIN NAMES has USC.EDU pointing to USCVM with :interconnect.mx?  For
the 3 years that USCMVSA has been on the Internet, it's been using
flaky software with flaky hardware (this will change soon, at which
time I may change my mind, but that's irrelevant to the question at
hand), so I want my mail arriving via Bitnet, which has been much more
reliable, albeit slower (before Bitnet II.)  Even though my Bitnet
traffic goes through USCVM, I *don't* want my mail going through the
mailer(s) there, which is what happens with many Bitnet hosts when
they see something.USC.EDU and look at DOMAIN NAMES.  So I keep the
USCMVSA mailer configured to use a "from" host of USCMVSA when sending
out to NJE addresses.

Leonard D. Woren
Senior MVS Systems Programmer
MVS Postmaster  <[log in to unmask]>  <[log in to unmask]>
University of Southern California