Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Nov 1992 23:36:56 +0100
On Fri, 13 Nov 1992 11:01:11 PST Yossie Silverman
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>I know how to do it myself!

Maybe, but as usual you want me to do it for you instead.

>That isn't the point. I would  like LISTSERV to automatically create and
>maintain  a FILELIST  for lists  with archives  which would  contain the
>files in  the archive and  the subject  lines (or a  constructed subject
>line for multiple submissions per archive file) from the archived mail.

I think you missed the point. FILELIST's are files LISTSERV maintains for
its own  private use. It  just so happens that  the gopher server  for VM
presently uses  these files to interface  to LISTSERV. I fail  to see how
this  suddenly puts  a requirement  on LISTSERV  to start  building files
which (1) it doesn't need and  (2) would actually create problems if they
were present, because they don't correspond to the reality. Actually even
if LISTSERV were to give you the files you wanted it still wouldn't work,
as the gopher  server would expect to have individual  CMS files with one
posting each when  this is not how the messages  are stored. The solution
is obviously  to make  the server  aware of the  actual structure  of the
archive files, so that it can  display a subject listing while being able
to extract individual messages from the actual CMS files.

  Eric