Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Jan 89 11:46:53 EST
>2) created TEST FILEID on the A disk which has two lines
>       1
>       TEST TEMP TEST TEMP E
>   (it took a while before I figured out it had to be caps....)
>   What does the 1 represent? Files with one file have a 1
>   and files with 14 files have a one......

The "1" is the next number to use if LISTSERV makes up a file name for the
file to be stored with.  If you update your FILELIST, and do not add the
file to the FILEID file, when you PUT the file, LISTSERV will make up a name
for the file of "TEST 00000001 E" and change the '1' in the FILEID file to "2".
This is so you can have the same file name in multiple filelists with the
actual files being saved on the same disk.

>3) created TEST FILELIST  on the A disk (putting in a /F/ before
>   the line tho I don't know why)

I assume you mean you put the /F/ before the entry for TEST FILELIST in
LISTSERV FILELIST.  That is so LISTSERV will know that TEST FILELIST is
a FILELIST and search it...

>6) THEN I tried a GET TEST TEMP   and it tells me TEST TEMP is unknown
>   (I did try a GET TEST TEMP TEST and I got the file ok, but I thought
>   that the filelist name was unnecessary if there was only one file
>   with that name.......)
>What did I do wrong  or not do?

Not sure here, but perhaps you also need to do a REFRESH LISTSERV so that
LISTSERV FILELIST will get refreshed and it will know about your TEST
FILELIST...

Hope this helps...

Harold