John Sheehy <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 12:26:51 -0400
I'm getting errors of the form:

> --> Error description:
> Error-For:  Autoregistration Failed, transaction aborted
> Error-Code: 0
> Error-Text: Data format error
>
> Error-End:  One error reported.
>
> This is a MIME-encapsulated message
>
> --WAA17928.872647546/lists.ufl.edu

after attempted delivery to a pair of addresses on a host running Lotus
Soft*Switch mail server software. The users were added to the list be the
list-owner. Other users on the machine receive mail fine from lists, but
they subscribed themselves to the lists instead of being added by the
list-owner. This is the only host that has had Autoregistration fail, so I
assume it was something to do with the command set.

I verified the addresses by hand with a RCPT To:<XXX>, since the mail server
supports neither vrfy or expn. The addresses are good.

Server info:

        220 Soft*Switch Central V4L40P1A ready at 27 Aug 1997 11:50:32 GMT

What I'd like to know:

        - How does Listserv go about performing Autoregistration?
        - What functionality is needed on the remote server to facilitate
                Autoregistration?
        - Can I somehow force successful Autoregistration for hosts like
                this one?
        - Is there an O'Reilly book on Listserv?

-John Sheehy
NERDC, UF