Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 21:29:34 +0200
On Tue,  14 Jun  1994 12:58:41 -0500  David E  Boyes <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>The point  I want to  focus on, though, is  that by *not*  passing these
>headers, the rest of the message body is rendered useless.

To people  with a MIME-compliant  mail program.  They will be  useless to
people without MIME anyway.

The hard reality is that MIME is  just a slightly less drastic variant of
BinHex, when it  comes to mailing lists. Some people  have it, the others
don't. People who have it don't  understand what the problem is: it works
fine for them,  what "rubbish" is everyone talking about?  They didn't do
anything special either. They just sent mail the normal way, their office
mate got it fine, everything is  ok. These (non-Mac) people must be nuts.
Tell you what,  THEY probably pressed the wrong button,  got all sorts of
user-unfriendly garbage from  their inferior, non Mac  systems, and can't
figure it  out. And  then they have  the nerve to  claim it's  our fault!
Gee... ;-)

Again, the  hard reality  is that  you have three  types of  lists. Lists
where nobody uses  BinHex, lists where everyone can read  BinHex, and Big
Ugly Messes. The  first two don't create any problem,  the mixed ones are
simply unmanageable.  I know because I've  tried it. The minority  of Mac
users that  do accept that  a problem exists  in the first  place usually
don't want to lift a finger to  make life easier for the others. Everyone
should buy a Mac! The only way out would be to insert a filter that would
screw up their  BinHex headers, so that they too  would get garbage. But,
of course, it is not a good solution.

And if you look  at the facts, it's really just the  same with MIME. MIME
(technical) people  think everyone  should use MIME.  That's a  noble and
worthy  goal,  but  in reality  telling  a  PROFS  user  to switch  to  a
MIME-capable program  is about  as effective and  pragmatic as  telling a
unix system  manager to get a  Mac. Operationally, the situation  is just
the same. If  everyone (or almost everyone) on the  list has MIME, great,
use full headers by  default! If only half of the  members among the most
technically aware have  MIME, you're in trouble. What  you'll have really
is two sub-lists, one  with MIME people and one with  people who can only
read plain text. And that is  a *much* bigger operational problem for the
list owner than setting the default headers to full.

>I  understand  the reasoning  behind  why  LISTSERV removes  unnecessary
>headers. My  argument is that  the MIME headers are  becoming necessary,
>and should be passed through as part of the default set.

And  that is  a perfectly  reasonable request.  You have  the ability  to
choose among  five types of headers  for the default set.  Select the one
you deem most appropriate for your  list, and let people who can't handle
MIME  enjoy leaner  headers. What  really annoys  me is  when people  say
"since MIME  headers are so  important to MIME  people, it should  not be
possible  to  filter  them  out  under any  circumstance,  even  if  this
inconveniences  the  majority  of  non-MIME  users".  If  I'd  made  this
statement about BinHex, everyone (except the  Mac users ;-) ) would agree
this  doesn't make  sense. But  say MIME  instead, and  suddenly I'm  all
wrong. MIME  is some sort of  Holy Cow on  the Internet. Like it  or not,
MIME  is a  major  change and  it  will  take a  couple  years to  become
generally usable. It  really doesn't help to push it  faster than it will
go. It will  just serve to give  end-users a bad impression  of MIME, and
make them  migrate more slowly.  Tell you  what, something that  would be
genuinely  useful would  be  for short  headers  to automatically  decode
base64 or  QP MIME  messages and  translate them to  plain text,  so that
non-MIME people get a chance to take part in the conversation. This would
allow  a much  smoother phase-in  of MIME.  Ordinary users  wouldn't feel
excluded from the club, they'd just see MIME as a more powerful tool they
may want to use  someday. Subject them to base64 junk  on a regular basis
and they'll just sign off.

  Eric