Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 21:32:00 GMT
Hi -

My organization (not MIT) wants to start up a bunch of listservs, and
we're looking into cost-effective ways to go.
Our Setup:  Windows, GroupWise4.1a, Novell LAN
The Lists:  50-100 lists, 30-200 members each, light traffic likely
Our Skill:  We are technical lightweights, but could be successful list-owners.

We asked a network provider and were quoted a price of
$750/listserv/year.  We asked a contractor and were quoted a price of
$10000 to purchase, install and setup a listserver on-site (with a
newserver thrown in) plus $70/hour to troubleshoot.  THe software they
suggested, though, is NOT free and has an annual fee based on the number
of lists you use.

I'd like to know if anyone can suggest less expensive options.  We're an
educational organization so can't just throw money at the problem.  I'd
also like to know if we're taking the right approach?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  You can respond to this list (which
I read as a newsgroup) or directly to me by email.

Thanks.
--Beth Kevles