"Carbajal, Pedro" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:55:40 -0800
Here is the original message:
------------------------------------
The first line of questions seems pretty loaded...so, I'd feel more
comfortable taking it offline, and get our research support director
involved in the discussion.

I would, however, say that the way that you would approach it depend on your
organizational culture, and how your organizational hierarchy is setup.  But
if you have a committee or a central leader figure, then I would recommend
that you get that person's support first before going forward with your
Endeavour.  You definitely need some executive sponsor to push something
like this along.

I believe that SAN and auto backup is not the only selling point (nor, to be
blunt, a good selling point to the users), because really, users don't care
about backend technical fixes, they would care about how this would help
them function better or make their life easier.  Some of the benefits that
they would reap using the authentication would be (this is just off the top
of my head):
Single sign-on/biometrics/card readers:  One thing users complain most about
is having to sign-on multiple times with different password.  If you have
some sort of initiative around the near horizon to implement such systems
mentioned above, you will need to have some sort of directory structure like
AD or LDAP to authenticate.  I believe that the Mac users or any users would
welcome less password(s) or no passwords at all.
Ability to only map your drive once:  You can probably have (not 100% sure)
the Mac authenticate, and have your drives mapped using some sort of script
upon log-on, which makes thing a lot easier for Mac users.
Sign-on will protect their privacy and protect their sensitive research data
from preying eyes.
There are I'm sure more selling point, but these are the only ones that I
can think of....Before you present, you should do your homework on these
topics and present them with facts.  Also, maybe you can ask your Mac users
what they would like to see resolved between Mac and Microsoft systems
(compatibility or usability wise) that would facilitate the authentication
to AD, a survey perhaps.  Well, hopefully, this helps.  Again, I will try to
explain our approach offline.  Maybe some of the other organizations can
provide some insights to what their organizations are doing.

-Peter

----