"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Sun, 12 Feb 89 17:48:12 GMT
For political reasons, LISTSERV support  is being withdrawn from the following
EARN countries:

- Germany
- France

This  withdrawal takes  effect immediately,  and  will last  until a  suitable
solution  to the  "LISTSERV  problem"  has been  found  and the  corresponding
arrangements have been made with EARN.

Users and  LISTSERV maintainers  of the aforementioned  countries who  are not
satisfied with this  decision are invited to contact their  BoD member, who is
the normal  channel of communication for  problems of a political  nature (see
the minutes of the Tel-Aviv BoD meeting for more information).

Users  and LISTSERV  maintainers of  the aforementioned  countries faced  with
technical problems  related to  LISTSERV should  contact their  EARN technical
staff;  I  will  no  longer  accept  bug  reports  or  answer  questions  from
postmasters of these countries.

One  month after  the next  version  of LISTSERV  has been  released, all  the
servers  in the  aforesaid countries  will have  to be  disconnected from  the
LISTSERV  backbone, according  to  the  rules of  operation  for the  LISTSERV
backbone.

Fortunately,  there is  no new  LISTSERV  release planned  in the  foreseeable
future,  and  we have  been  making  considerable  progress on  the  "LISTSERV
problem" recently.

Before going any  further I would like  to make sure that you  understand I am
not doing  this just to  make life  more difficult for  EARN. This is  a dummy
announcement, since I  do not plan to  release any new version  of LISTSERV in
the near future, and  in fact I spend so much time on  the "LISTSERV and EARN"
nonsense that I don't even have time to  look at bug reports. It does not give
me any kind of  sadistic pleasure to withdraw my support  from anybody. And if
it were an emotional  decision, I would have included Ireland  and a few other
countries.

The reason why I  bothered to do it is twofold. First, of  course, I have good
reasons to refuse  to keep providing any  kind of volunteer help  to these two
countries. But most importantly, there are still a number of people who do not
realize  that  there   is  a  real  problem  there  (to   avoid  any  possible
misunderstanding, this is not an attack at the EARN Executive or anything like
that, they are part  of those who do realize the  seriousness of the problem).
People who write letters to me saying  "Why don't you just keep things as they
are,  since it  worked so  well in  the  past" are  of course  right from  the
technical point  of view, but  are not providing any  help to solve  a problem
that cannot be ignored.  It is high time that EARN  got itself a professional,
EARN-guaranteed maintenance for LISTSERV, so that  users do not have to suffer
a loss in service if the BoD  goes on treating the "so-called volunteers" with
a  haughty lack  of consideration.  It is  high time  that I  got rid  of this
political nonsense, so that I can calmly concentrate on writing good software.
I  have just  finished porting  the last  of  our local  mods to  SP2. It  was
admittedly the toughest one, and used  to crash the system without producing a
dump and  without loading  a wait  PSW that would  have allowed  me to  take a
standalone dump, but  it should never have  taken me 4 days for  just this one
update. But  how can you debug  a tricky problem  by working 10 minutes  on it
every hour?

  Eric