Bev Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:10:18 -0600
Hello,

We have been referred to this list by LSoft support.  We have searched
the
archives without success.

 We have been attempting to configure the wa cgi for our listserv.  Our
 security policy requires that all passwords sent across the network be
 encrypted.  That includes passwords only used to manage lists.  To do
 this we are willing to have the entire wa cgi program run securely.
We  are using apache with mod_ssl.

 We are able to reach the wa interface in a secure fashion using the URL

 https://xxxxxx.xxxxx.edu/cgi-bin/wa

 That gives us a secure page and everything is fine.  Then we select the

 mailing list management menu choice and go to the login page

 https://xxxxxx.xxxxx.edu/cgi-bin/wa?LMGT1

 That works fine too.  But when we put in a password and select login,
we
 get a warning that we are going to a non-secure page (no problem) and
 then get the following message (problem).

 Bad Request

 Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

 Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
 Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

      Hint: https://xxxxxx.xxxxx.edu:443/

 The URL generated by the wa cgi script is

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://xxxxxx.xxxxx.edu:443/cgi-bin/wa?LMGT1&X=728DC40176EE3B02C9&[log in to unmask]

 Please note that it is using port 443 but not using https.  That causes

 the error message above.

 Apparently the behaviour of the wa cgi is to identify the port being
 used and  passing that port along in the URL.  It does not do this for
 port 80 but it does for 443.

Our config files are as follows:

# cd /etc
# ls -l lsv-wa.config
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other         85 Dec  4 11:31 lsv-wa.config
# more lsv-wa.config
PATH /usr/local/apache/htdocs/archives
URL https://xxxxxx.xxxxx.edu/archives/
#

# more go.user
#!/bin/sh
#
# NOTE TO USERS MIGRATING TO UNIX: this file is a standard 'sh' script.
The
# rules for entering long lines, using the value of a variable in the
# definition of another, and so forth are the same as with any other
'sh'
# script. You cannot use the same conventions as in the system you are
# migrating from. Please note that variable names are case sensitive
under
# unix and must be entered as shown. For more information about 'sh' and

# scripts in general, simply refer to your system documentation.
#
# NOTE TO UNIX USERS: LISTSERV configuration parameters generally use
the
# space as a separator character (as opposed to, say, comma or
semicolon).
#
# -- If your mail software can't handle addresses like [log in to unmask]
# -- then define BITNET_ROUTE to be the Internet hostname of a machine
# -- that can (perhaps a local machine that is also a Bitnet host?) If
# -- you are not sure which machine is best, do not define this
variable.
# -- The default value is a machine operated by L-Soft which, while not
# -- necessarily the best choice, will get the mail through.
# --
# -- Uncomment this line if you define this!
#BITNET_ROUTE="MAILHOST.MYDOMAIN.EDU"
#
# -- If your system's SMTP server is picky about the hostname it will
# -- accept, define SMTP_HOSTNAME to the appopriate name. LISTSERV will
# -- use the fully qualified domain name for your system by default.
# -- Note that it is incorrect for a SMTP server not to accept a fully
# -- qualified name, but unfortunately older versions of sendmail do
that.
# --
# -- Uncomment this line if you define this!
SMTP_HOSTNAME="xxxxx.edu"
#
# -- The fully qualified domain name for this host.
NODE="$SMTP_HOSTNAME"
#
# -- Pattern defining local mailing addresses, use asterisks to match
any
# -- number of arbitrary characters.
LOCAL="*.xxxxx.edu"
#
# -- The e-mail address(es) of the LISTSERV maintainer(s). SPACE
SEPARATED!
POSTMASTER="[log in to unmask]"
#
# -- All possible domain names for this machine. SPACE SEPARATED!
MYDOMAIN="$NODE mailhost.tcs.xxxxx.edu tmcpop.tmc.xxxxx.edu"
#
# -- The password to be used when sending "put" commands to create files

CREATEPW=xxxxxxx
#
# -- The username created to run the LISTSERV code. This must match the
# -- USERID macro in the Makefile. The default value, listserv, should
# -- be used if at all possible.
USERID="listserv"
#
# -- A short name for your organization, used in "From:" fields. The
# -- default is your Internet hostname.
# -- Uncomment this line if you define this!
MYORG="Xxxxxx University"
WWW_ARCHIVE_CGI=https://xxxxxx.xxxxx.eduu/cgi-bin/wa
WWW_ARCHIVE_DIR=/usr/local/apache/htdocs/archives
#

Any help would be appreciated.

Bev Kennedy
System Administrator,