Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Teresa Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:45:51 -0400
text/plain (1 lines)
I tried using Language= HTML,Exchange in the header. Unfortunately, this had no impact on the next posting I sent from Outlook.  Messages sent from Outlook 2000 to the list are still received as plain text in Outlook 2000.  (When LISTSERV isn't involved the messages are received as Rich Text). 

By the way, I also just tried Language=Exchange in case the second parameter was being ignored.  It wasn't.  They still came through as plain text.  

Maybe Doug Wheeler is onto something?  (I am going to find out what version of the Exchange server we are using--that falls under another department).  I may have to tell this "poster" that he needs to use HTML format or plain text, but if at all possible I would like to find out how to overcome this "Rich-Text" problem.  (When sending a posting to the list in HTML, from Outlook 2000, it comes through as multipart/alternative and displays the formatting in Outlook 2000).

Thank you all.  Any more comments are appreciated.

-Teresa M.

----- Original Message ----- 

To: <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 2:13 PM

Subject: Re: [LSTSRV-L] Outlook/Rich Text Format

I think you are misunderstanding the HTML parm for the Language= command.  I think you want  Language=Exchange.  Here's a quote from the list owner doc:

*** begin quote ***

Language= idiom|option[,option]

This keyword is not available in LISTSERV Lite.

Defines the language in which information mail and messages are to be sent to subscribers of the list. The postmaster must have provided the required data file (called idiom.MAILTPL, where idiom  is the name of the language specified by this keyword) to the server. The default is "Language= English", which uses DEFAULT.MAILTPL.

L-Soft does not provide non-English templates.

Starting with 1.8d, this keyword was expanded to cover the following functionality:

Language= HTML: This setting allows you to specify that LISTSERV's administrative messages (i.e., those specified in the MAILTPL and/or WELCOME and FAREWELL files) be sent out in HTML format. You specify either Language= HTML or Language= idiom,HTML to enable this feature.

Language= NOHTML:  This setting allows you to specify that LISTSERV strip any HTML attachments from postings (while retaining HTML tags sent in the

body of plain text messages). You specify either Language= NOHTML or Language= idiom,NOHTML to enable this feature.

The actual function of this setting is to remove the attachment that contains the HTML mail from the message. It does not remove HTML tags from plain text messages. This means that setting this option will not suppress HTML in  messages sent from Eudora Pro 3.x (since Eudora Pro 3.x does not send the HTML message as a MIME attachment with a plain text alternative).  The setting also does not suppress HTML in messages sent from current versions of Netscape Messenger if the sender chooses the "Send in HTML mail only" option when sending the message (because there is no alternate plain text attachment for LISTSERV to use in that case).

Language= EXCHANGE: This setting allows you to specify that LISTSERV keep Microsoft Exchange attachments in postings (the default is to remove them). You specify either Language= EXCHANGE or Language= idiom,EXCHANGE to enable this feature. Note that this affects "application/ms-tnef" attachments only-- LISTSERV does not currently strip WINMAIL.DAT attachments.

These three formatting options are not mutually exclusive and may be defined in any grouping (in other words, Language= HTML,NOHTML,EXCHANGE is legal although it is unlikely anyone would want to use it).

*** end quote ***

At 02:00 PM 7/31/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately, I still don't get this. ;-)

>

>If I send a rich text message from Outlook 2000 to the list, and view the distributed posting in the same Outlook 2000 client, it comes through as plain text.  If I send a rich text formatted message from Outlook 2000 to my own account--(that I view within the same Outlook 2000 client)--it comes through with formatting displayed.  (The latter scenario does not involve LISTSERV, because the message is not sent to the list.  Under Properties of this formatted message, "Type: Message (Rich Text)" displays).

>

>Here's the list header:

>

> Confidential= Yes

> Language=HTML

> Owner= [log in to unmask] (XXX)

> Owner= quiet:

> Owner= [log in to unmask] (XXXX)

> Review= Owner Only

> Subscription= Closed

> Notify= No

> Send= [log in to unmask]

> Auto-delete= No

> Notebook= No

> Reply-to= Sender,Respect

> Ack= No

> Errors-To= Owner

> Validate= Yes, Confirm

> X-tags= No

> Default-Options= Repro, Full, Mime

> Attachments= No

>

>Any ideas on this one?  Thanks in advance,

>Teresa

>----- Original Message -----

>From: "Teresa Moore" <[log in to unmask]>

>To: <[log in to unmask]>

>Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 1:23 PM

>Subject: Re: [LSTSRV-L] Outlook/Rich Text Format

>

>

>Hi Pete,

>

>Language=HTML is in the header.

>

>Thanks,

>Teresa

>----- Original Message -----

>From: "Pete Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>

>To: <[log in to unmask]>

>Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 1:13 PM

>Subject: Re: [LSTSRV-L] Outlook/Rich Text Format

>

>

>Check to see if the list has a definition header of:

>

>LANGUAGE= NOHTML

>

>If so, remove that (until the posting has been distributed)

>

>/pete

>

>At 12:56 07/31/2002 Wednesday, Teresa Moore wrote:

> >Hi All,

> >

> >I apologize if this topic was already discussed in the past.  I did some

> >searching and looked through the documentation, but can't find the

> >information I am looking for.  Unfortunately, we are in a crunch for time

> >on this one, because the poster wants to send out his mailing soon.  (We

> >are using LISTSERV 1.8d)

> >

> >The subscriber wants to post a message to his list with Outlook 2000

> >(configured to address an Exchange server).  He wants to send the posting

> >in Outlook's Rich Text format.  Last time he posted to this list, it came

> >through as plain text.  I sent a rich text message from Outlook to a test

> >list, that mimics his list, and it also came through in plain text.  How

> >do I get his list to interpret the Rich Text formatted message sent by

> >Outlook, in order for the posting to be distributed with its intended

> >formatting?

> >

> >Thank you,

> >Teresa Moore

> >

> >Senior Programmer/Analyst

> >University at Albany

> >State University of New York

> >(518) 437-3780

>End Reply

--

John W. Luther

Systems Administrator

Computing and Information Services

University of Missouri - Rolla

Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2