Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 17 Jun 1987 23:16 SET
  I  have eventually  completed the  LISTSERV installation  guide for  release
1.5j. The  previous one was  really *too* obsolete,  ordered you to  do things
which were  no longer necessary  with 1.5i and  no longer POSSIBLE  with 1.5j,
referred  to  commands  which  had  been superseded,  etc.  This  document  is
available in paper format  (about 50 pages) or as a  file, LISTINST MEMO (1800
lines).

  If I had time I would re-beta-test the modified 1.5j, but then I don't think
I have time.  Starting next week I  will be working (to get  money) outside of
FRECP11 for about 2  weeks, maybe a little more, and I don't  know how often I
will be able to come. So I can either send beta shipments tomorrow to the test
sites and send out 1.5j to  everybody "later", probably 1-2 weeks later (note:
this assumes I have  a nonzero amount of time left  after processing my reader
:-)  ), or  send it  on right  now  to everybody.  Anyway I'll  have to  start
distributing it as 5 sites are waiting to  get it - I had refused to send them
1.5i because  1.5j was "due  soon with a  much better installation  guide" and
they've been waiting for 2 weeks already.

  Oh, you don't know the last one  from the school direction. Now they want to
buy us 3380s-AE!!! But  to buy them we must sell our 3375s.  So we're going to
sell our three *brand new, just unpacked from the factory* 3375s for about 20%
the price we  paid them 5 months  ago, and with this money  and the additional
funds from the school direction, we'll get *one* 3380-AE4. And now please tell
me what happens if the one and only 3380-AE4 dies. And tell me when we'll find
enough money to buy a second one. Expanding a 3380-AE string tends to be quite
expensive, especially as  you can't buy secondhand, uh? Why  don't we keep the
3375s, considering  that we'll get  almost nothing out  of them? Oh  well... I
wish  that but  10% of  the money  lost  every day  by this  silly school  got
transferred to  my bank account.  I would not have  to worry about  earning my
living then... :-)

  Eric