Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Oct 90 12:54:33 EST
On Tue, 9 Oct 90 02:44:58 EDT Eric Thomas said:
>  My question is how do you protect a list and the Subsribers
>of that list from something like this?
>  This is NOT another INTERNET hole!  I am sending this posting
>from BITNET.

Eric's note had a Reply-To: pointing to some third user, which is
presumably what he's worried about.  Apparently Eric is concerned about
our ability to dump mail to some unsuspecting user and found a irritant
to prove his point with. :-)

At some point, we have to say, "We're all consenting adults."  With a
little sleuthing the victim can determine who the perpetrator was and
have the victim's site management get in touch with the perpetrator's
site management.

As a benefit, I can ask a question for another user and point the
answers to her instead of myself.  Sure, like a lot of things, it can be
abused.  But has there been more abuse of this feature than benefits, or
has Eric just been watching too many late-night horror movies again?

I don't see that there's anything more than a *potential* problem here,
so I wouldn't encourage Eric to spend any time worrying about it, let
alone coding a fix.

One man's opinion only....

Nick