Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Feb 1991 16:52:44 +0100
On Fri, 15 Feb 1991  10:37:50 EST Kent Percival <[log in to unmask]>
said:
>However  it  still  sends  mail  for  people  originally  registered  as
>x@UOGUELPH to that address.

You  may  want to  re-read  the  1.6e  release  notes from  the  LSTSRV-M
archives. LISTSERV does not tamper with  the address it is provided with,
it just knows how to recognize that  the address it got a command from is
equivalent to the one in the list/AFD/etc.

>I  would  like to  see  LISTSERV  choose  the  domain style  address  in
>preference to the NJE  name when sending mail. It would  even be nice to
>do a  mass change of  everyone x@UOGUELPH to [log in to unmask]  Are these
>things possible?

It  is  not  LISTSERV's  business to  arbitrarily  decide  that  internet
addresses are "better"  in all cases and for all  users, and to translate
BITNET-style  addresses to  internet ones  whenever possible.  Search the
NODMGT-L archives for  a long argument on this topic.  LISTSERV cannot be
told  to change  all occurences  of a  node to  its domain-style  address
either, but the users can always  signoff and re-register under their new
address.

  Eric