Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 23:49:37 EDT
On Thu, 21 Jul 1994 14:11:09 -0400 Michael D. Bray said:
...text deleted...
>      Somewhere I could have sworn that I read that when the Editor
>forwards the message back to the list, that listserv would distribute the
>mail with the headers such that it looks like the mail came from the
>person who actually sent the mail, not from the editors account.  But now

 You remembered correctly.  Ironically I happened to test that exact
 thing yesterday in response to private mail I received.  I believe the
 determining factor is the way the editor submits the mail to LISTSERV.
 That is, if the editor's mail system allow mail to be forwarded with
 the original mail headers intact, then you will get the behavior you
 want.  The "forward" command in Mail/MailBook handles the headers that
 way for instance.  It adds several "Resent-XXX:" header lines and
 leaves the original mail headers alone.  If your editor is using a
 "reply" command or a "forward" command that rewrites the mail headers,
 then the information may not be available to LISTSERV when the note
 is submitted for distribution.

>(  Michael D. Bray            )(  UCF.CUG Co-director       )
>(  bray @ pegasus.cc.ucf.edu  )(  - TRAIN.SIG Coordinator   )
>(  mxb  @ engr.ucf.edu        )(  - HELP.SIG Coordinator    )
>(  ~~~~~~~~~~~ http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~bray/ ~~~~~~~~~~~ )

 -jj