"David B. O'Donnell" <LUTHER@MTUS5>
Tue, 15 Aug 89 18:28:18 EST

There is a possibility, howeer slim, that our site might be interested in
implementing a revised listserver in the near future.  However, before we
can consider this, we need some information.  Please keep in mind that
this information will be aimed at persons here who may be unfamiliar with
networking and similar concepts, so while the information needs to be as
technically complete as possible, it also needs to be UNDERSTANDABLE, or
at least EXPLAINABLE to the layperson.

(1)  Is there a document or some ``legal'' indication of the actual owner
     of Revised Listserv?  (Don't ask me why they want this info).  E.g,
     who owns the rights to the code and concept?  Who has the rights to
     distribution and modification of the code, etc.

(2)  Consider an IBM 4381 running VM/SP HPO 5; Our nearest listserv node
     is NDSUVM1; how much computing resources can we expect to expend to
     support Revised Listserv?  (Please feel free to bug me with more
     questions so I can ask exactly the right ones) -- in other words,
     can you give an estimate of the time needed to install listserv;
     the time needed to maintain it, on a monthly basis; the approximate
     cpu consumption on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?  I realise that these
     are vague questions, please feel free to ask me more specifically
     for more better questions.

(3)  I'll just include a clip of the original requests I got -- it'll be faster

>      I need every scrap of info on installing Listserv. Not the generalities
> of how it functions, but info on EXACTLY how it functions, what it takes
> in terms of real resources, how we get the code, who we get it from, and
> under what conditions we can have it. VERY IMPORTANT: I need some official
> listserv document that states that the code is property Eric Thomas and
> CANNOT be used without his consent. As I remember, that is indeed the case;
> I need to prove it. I'm just not sure where that info is exactly, what file.
> RIGHT away. But...
>      I do need assurance of one thing: that Listserv will handle the idea of
> condensing our incoming mailing-list mail, i.e. listserv@ndsuvm1 sends one
> piece of mail here -> listserv@mtus5 splits it up here. This will help
> immensely, even if for the wrong reasons.

Thanks for your help, everyone, and please remember to REPLY TO ME, not the
list.

Virtually,
David B. O'Donnell
<LUTHER@MTUS5>