Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 01:17:28 EST
> one must make informed choices.  i was pointing out some issues associated
> with using qmail with listserv.  if you want an ideal fit i suppose you
> should use lsmtp.  i suspect we would be using it if it had been available
> for sunos-5 when we started delivering too much mail for sendmail to
> handle.

Unfortunately, LSMTP is not yet available for any Unix.

> however if you deliver enough mail that lsmtp might be useful then you
> might find youself dealing with a lot of bounces (many thousands a day).
> at that time the system adminstrator or the list owners might be interested
> in dealing with most of them automatically.
>
> of course maybe i just need to find that hands free bounce processing switch.

Yes, I get a lot of bounces, although it's not up to the level of
thousands a day (usually).  I like the idea of automating the handling
of them.  It's just that I think that DSNs are the best long-term
strategy for doing that.  If you run qmail on a machine with real user
mailboxes (not just a dedicated LISTSERV machine), you would be doing a
disservice to other LISTSERV sites, as you would not be generating DSNs
for bounced mail.  Recent versions of sendmail generate DSNs and
LISTSERV handles them automatically (although setting Auto-Delete
properly is still an art).