Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Thu, 29 Jan 1987 15:48 SET
  This  problem is  probably  due to  the  stupidity of  the  way some  systems
interface with  the network (Peter, no  need to protest, you  know I'm stubborn
about this). When I send a file to user XXX at the average MVS/WYLBUR node with
TAG DEV PUN nodeid XXX, it does NOT  get to XXX's reader. It will either end up
printed on some line printer, discarded, placed  on hold, etc. What you must do
is TAG DEV  PUN nodeid XXX W=XXX.  This will tell TSO that  the destination for
the file  is XXX. Yeah, I  know, it seems  obvious that XXX is  the destination
since you've put  it in the TAG. But  if you don't use W=XXX too,  the guy just
won't be able to  access his file. I've fixed that in 1.5g  and I'm nearly sure
that the CDC  problem comes from this missing  W=. Could they try it  out on my
server and see if it works.

  You may have  noticed a frenetic series  of PUT PEERS NAMES  commands on your
server. They're due to the problems  I encountered with the distribution of the
command,  due mainly  to the  fact that  the CUNYVM  entry contained  incorrect
information (incorrect  version tags,  hardware "3090-4" (the  latter is  not a
problem but it confirms  the fact that the entry was not  ok)) which caused the
BITNIC  server not  to  forward the  distribution to  CUNYVM.  It thought  that
CUNYVM was  a release 1.5  (base 1.5)  server and wanted  to protect it  from a
security hole  that affected these  servers, so it discarded  the distribution.
Sorry for all that overhead.

  Eric