Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:50:06 -0800
I've asked this before but it still seems that something is wrong.
Listserv's defenses against spam are much worse than the spam itself.  Am I
misconfigured?  Is there a loop?  Do other large sites have this problem?
Must I get off the backbone?

Twice in the last three days my spool system has had over 80,000 spam .mail
jobs to deliver.  This bring us to a halt.  No one can connect to the web
interface,  smtp connections are refused and real mail gets backed up.
When I notice this, I run a job that greps every .mail file and deletes any
that contain X-SPAM.  If I don't notice it, it appears to take between 11
and 16 hours to clear.  Looking  back, it looks like we had at least three
this month.  On the 14th, it started building at 17:10 EST and cleared by
09:30 the next day.  On the 24th, it began at 05:00 and cleared by 16:20.
And they are building now as we speak.

We are running 1.8e with 20 smtp workers.  We might normally several
hundred .mail files backed up when send to very large lists, but they clear
in several minutes.
--
We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some
are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors...but they

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
On my Mac, of course ;-)