F J Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:56:18 +0000
I thought I should ask how others are doing this:

Every now and then, I will have to edit the archives of some list -- I've had our IT Security guy order it and there have been a few other occasions.  It is *not* something I encourage or make a habit of doing.  My standard reference for this has been
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/qs/editlogs.html

We are running Listserv 16 on a RHEL 6 box

If I have to edit a log, it is done in Linux using (al)pine.

I have seen this (so far) only with Microsoft's "Outlook Web App" (OWA) on Windows (have not checked the Mac).  If  a command is sent, a stray character will be sent as well, producing an error:

e.g.  > ?review mylist
            Unknown command - "?REVIEW". Try HELP.

The same command sent in Outlook or via Gmail (on ie, firefox, chrome) has no problems.  This came up because I am working on documentation, and this is one of the odd things that needs to be done.  I *assume* the stray character, represented as a "?" is a byte order mark (BOM) but do not know and was wondering if others had encountered it.
Thanks,
--Joe