Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Thu, 29 Jan 87 14:22:36 CST
   One correction.  The :version. tag for CUNYVM should be
         :version.1.5f
Since they intended to be part of the distribution backbone, they should
have a 'current' version level.  (I checked with Ricardo Hernandez their
LISTSERV contact).

   What is happened is this (at least in some cases):
   1.  Richard Schafer at Rice sent a dist job to LISTSERV at CUNYVM.
   2.  CUNYVM LISTSERV broke up the job and sent it on its way.
   3.  The job was received here and at RUTVM1 and BYUADMIN at least.
   4.  LISTSERV ran LSVDIST EXEC which builds a list of all peer servers.
       NOTE:  A Missing Version tag will default to "1.3".  Any version
       less than "1.5" means the node will NOT be included in the list.
       So, CUNYVM never gets put into the list.
   5.  When LSVDIST checks the servers list (line 142) it does not find
       LISTSERV@CUNYVM so it rejects the file saying "Invalid file origin
       specified.".  The file disappears.

   A few suggestions:

   Each LISTSERV machine should verify its OWN entry in PEERS
NAMES (if it doesn't) and make sure the version is there.
(Maybe it does this but it should do it whenever a new one is stored).

   Any rejection mail for these cases should probably have the
"postmaster" for that LISTSERV in the "cc:" list.

   If possible, the 'bad file' should be transferred to the primary
LISTSERV postmaster.  In this case, I could have just added the ":version.1.5f"
and transferred the file back to LISTSERV and it should have taken off.

   For now, I suggest we all add the ":version.1.5f" tag to the current
PEERS NAMES for CUNYVM so Eric can update it again...

       Marty