Rick Troth <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Oct 1993 11:36:07 CDT
>FYI below.

        Yes!   Exciting news indeed!

>            Note that the Rice/Troth MSGD server receives MSP responses
>from LISTSERV@SEARN[.sunet.se] without difficulty.

        Well ... of course!   ;-)

        Actually,  I get  Connection refused (ECONNREFUSED)  just now.

>                                                    Who knows anything
>about Bert Barbe's MSGD?  He does not appear to be a member of this
>list.

        Wish he were.   I suspect that Bert's "server" is actually both
client and server (from the TCP/IP perspective) in one virtual machine.
This is Eric's main gripe about my code:  that the "client" runs in the
user's v-machine.   So for LISTSERV there would be unacceptable delays
waiting for each  "tell"  to complete.   This is a real problem for an
SVM like LISTSERV.   Bert's MSGD must be accepting SMSGs.   Cool!

        I've been waiting for someone to do this.   Now all we need is
for someone to add SIFT/UFT protocol support and we'll have the RSCS
equivalent I and others have been dreaming of.   Speaking of which ...

        I've been considering  (better,  have decided to)  adding  CPQ
to my UFTD server for VM.   Such a  "superset"  command  (superset to
the RFC1440 suite of commands)  would be useful for BITNET/EARN alumni.
Not sure how other RSCS commands would fit,  but still thinking.

--
Rick Troth <[log in to unmask]>, Rice University, Information Systems

"Since Congress won't do anything about the national debt,
can I just buy out my share now before it's too late?"