"Young, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:54:47 -0500
Thanks for the help.  I'm interested in exploring the TCPGUI interface
but haven't been able to get the C++ code in the docs to compile
correctly due to missing header files.  Has anyone ported it to C# or
VB.NET?  Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Russell
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 11:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

On 7/6/2007 17:20, Pete Weiss wrote:

> With a sub-list involved, how will the subscriber "know" which list
> they
 > are on when they choose to opt-out?
>
> Actually, I'm a little confused by which is mandatory and which is
 > optional, and which list you are going to check fhe changelog and
issue  > commands for some other list.

> Or maybe it is very easy?
>
> Opt-out list A, has sub-list B.  Sub-list B has mandatory subscribers.

 > If "B" subscriber opts-out, it is really for "A," so that list-owner
> re-ADDs to "B" *and* "A" but SETs NOMAIL for "A"  (maybe QUIETly?).

The solution described by Kevin Parris eliminates the need to monitor
the changelog and manually issue commands on behalf of subscribers.

In his scenario, the optional list is the super-list and the mandatory
list is the sub-list. By default, everyone is subscribed to the
sub-list, but no one is subscribed to the super-list.

A 'remove me' link is included in the bottom banner on messages posted
to the super-list. When a recipient of a message posted to the
super-list clicks the 'remove me' link, a custom CGI actually adds the
subscriber to the super-list, but sets the subscriber to NOMAIL. The net
result: the subscriber no longer receives messages posted to the
super-list. This is completely counter-intuitive - subscribe to a list
in order to stop receiving list postings - but elegant and ingenious. I
wish I had thought of it. This does create the potential for confusion
on the part of LISTSERV-literate subscribers who attempt to leave the
super-list by submitting a signoff command.

 > Follow-up to lstown-l.

The custom CGI script could run on a server other than the LISTSERV
server, and submit commands via email or the TCPGUI interface. In that
case, this could be implemented by a list owner who is not also the site
administrator, but who has access to another web server. It seems to me,
however, that a properly designed script could be installed on the
LISTSERV server and could be used to manage multiple lists in this
manner by specifying the listname as a parameter in the URL that invokes
the script. Installation of such a script would require administrator
privileges. It seems to me that this is the most appropriate forum for
this discussion.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator OIT Messaging Services Team
University of Notre Dame [log in to unmask]