Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 18:48:40 EST
> On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Chris Barnes wrote:
> > However, now I have to do this using email.  Now when I GET my list,
> > the list is wrapped at column 80 with the user options being the 2nd
> > line.  How do I now PUT the list back with the options still in place?
>
> Best advice is to 'get name-of-list (head nolock' and *not* get the
> entire list.  Any changes to the subscribers can (and, in my humble
> opinion, should) be accomplished through the appropriate use of 'add'
> and 'quiet del' commands.
> Jim...

This points up again the need for a change address command.  Subscriber
names can be updated with ADD, but there's no way other than manually
editing the list to change the email address without losing the
subscriber's settings.  Yes, you can QUERY, DELETE, ADD, and SET, but
that's not a very reasonable process to have to go through.

Also, wouldn't it be better for the default for GET to be just the
header?  Right now it's an invitation to mess up the subscriber
list.