Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:19:38 -0500
On 5 Mar 2004 at 14:30, James Morrill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What I am worried about is LISTSERV adding e-mail addresses to the
> autodel file that aren't subscribed to the list in the first place and
> then the querries I get from those owners wondering why LISTSERV is
> tracking those people.

Whenever LISTSERV responds to a command that is specific to a list,
or a post to a list, LISTSERV uses the bounce address for the list.
To understand why, here are a few of the many scenarios in which you
might know about bounces for addresses who are not subscribed to the
list:

Scenario 1: Subscriber with misconfigured email

Adam Jones is subscribed to a Send=private list as [log in to unmask]
Unfortunately, he misconfigured his email client on his laptop and
mail from there looks like it's coming from [log in to unmask] He posts
to the list, and the email is rejected because [log in to unmask] is not a
subscriber. Rejection bounces because [log in to unmask] is not a valid
address.  Back at his regular workstation he goes to check his email
and sees that the post he sent earlier was not distributed. He writes
an angry email to the list owners screaming that they are censoring
him, etc. etc. Owner checks bounces and sees a bounce from
[log in to unmask] and is able to calm subscriber down.

Scenario 2: Subscriber with forwarded email address

Beth Smith subscribed as [log in to unmask], but somewhere along the
line, she started to have [log in to unmask] forward all mail to
[log in to unmask] She doesn't check her mail for a month, and
her hotmail account starts bouncing. Bounces are coming from
hotmail.com even though she's not subscribed there. (With probing,
LISTSERV will eventually find out which subscribed address is
bouncing, but in the meantime, the bounces are all the hotmail
address). List owner checks the list for the hotmail address, doesn't
find it, and starts looking for variations -- searching for "smith"
turns up "Beth Smith" <[log in to unmask]>... Owner says "Hmmm...", sends
an email to [log in to unmask] to ask if she's been getting her list
email and receives a bounce from [log in to unmask] Aha! Set
that one to NOMAIL or delete.

Scenario 3: Non-subscriber tries to subscribe w/ bad address

Chuck Taylor ([log in to unmask]) wants to subscribe to the list.
Goes to the web interface but enters address as [log in to unmask]
Since the list is OF COURSE set up for subscription confirmation, the
confirmation bounces. Bounce is registered in monitoring report. A
few days later, Chuck writes to list owners and complains that he
subscribed to the list but isn't getting any email and all his posts
are rejected. Once again, the fact that the non-subscribed address
bounce is logged saves the day for the list owner who can reconstruct
what happened.

These are just a few of many scenarios in which logging bouncing non-
subscribers is useful.

Francoise