John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:19:14 -0500
> Hi listserv admins,
>
> Sorry to dig up an old thread but we are thinking about using
> the command mentioned below i.e.
>
>     quiet change * *@old.domain *@new.domain
>
> and I need a little more information.
>
> (1) Are there any 'gotchas'?  (What can I say?  People here
>     are suspicious of anything that looks that simple.)

No

> (2) Will it work on 1.8d?

Yes

> Our old domain is pilot.msu.edu; our new one is simply
> msu.edu - currently (since years ago) they are aliased
> in aliases.names like so:  :nick.MSU.EDU :alias.PILOT.MSU.EDU
> When we did that, they were the same system.  Now msu.edu is
> actually a separate system that knows who is still on Pilot
> and forwards as needed.  In a couple of months Pilot will go
> away - meanwhile we want to route as much Pilot mail through
> the new msu.edu system as possible, for better virus checking.
>
> Possibly I should also be asking if we should turn that
> aliases.names record around now - i.e. is the right hand side
> implied to be the "preferred" name somehow?

It just means that LISTSERV should treat  PILOT.MSU.EDU as  MSU.EDU. In
other words, if a person is subscribed as  [log in to unmask], it would
accept mail from  [log in to unmask] as the same.  As long as  *@PILOT.MSU.EDU
will always be  the same as  *@MSU.EDU  and vise-versa, there is no need
to change the alias. If however  PILOT.MSU.EDU  is eventually removed or
becomes a totally different system with different users, you must remove
this alias via this link:  http://www.lsoft.com/regaliases.html

> Finally, if an owner has set up a personal password for the
> old id in the web interface, and that owner is also a subscriber
> and gets "changed", and then tries to use the password with
> either id in the web interface, it would be nice if that
> would just work.  Will the aliases.names entry be enough to
> save us from ourselves here?  :)

I'm pretty sure it will.....as long as the aliases.names remains intact.
It would be very easy to test, just change one owner/subscriber, then have
them perform a new web login with the new address and the old PW.
Worst case is they would have to acquire a new PW for the new address, but
I don't think that will happen. In theory they should be able to login
with the old address and PW as LISTSERV should treat them as the same
person/address.

Where your problem will come is is changing the owners address in the list
headers, that has to be done manually :-(